[Twisted-Python] Is there pb documentation somewhere?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Aug 18 12:41:01 MDT 2014

On Aug 17, 2014, at 8:05 PM, Daniel Sank <sank.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> glyph,
>
> >> 2. Do I notify you if Joe disappears on my side?
> >>
> > Yes.
> > <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/a8227e5562a4f9074bb0d5faf6a10e91069704aa/twisted/spread/pb.py#L365-L369>.
>
> That's the recipient announcing deletion, not the sender.

On the sender's side, the object can't disappear unless the recipient sends the deletion.  The recipient is holding a reference to it.  This is by design - the sender can synthesize a restricted capability which has no use except for mediating the recipient's access to a particular resource (in fact, this is practically the only recommended way to use PB) and the reference to that object is held only by the server.

> And anyway, my questions is how _should_ this work, not how does it work right now.

It works this way now, and that part of the design is basically correct, I think, unless you're asking about some other aspect of it that I don't get ;).

-glyph