[Twisted-Python] t.p.syslog, t.p.logger and twistd (was #7549)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Aug 12 12:18:31 MDT 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Roberto Polli <roberto.polli at babel.it> wrote:

> On Sunday 10 August 2014 23:09:15 Glyph wrote:
>> ... on OS X, where I think
>> filtering works slightly differently and the INFO filtering happens in the
>> process itself
> What does tcpdump says on OSX?'

I am pretty sure that syslog stuff all happens over mach ports, or perhaps UNIX sockets.  Nothing that tcpdump can see unless you configure the daemon to forward stuff on.

>> However, "twistd --syslog" could be implemented in terms of t.p.logger
>> instead.
>> to make twisted.python.syslog.startLogging use a new-style
> (twisted.python.logging)
>> observer, rather than fixing SyslogObserver.
> Ok. Hope to play on that  during these holidays.

Fantastic :).  Keep in mind that as yet, logger is unreleased and so if you have any feedback we should fix it now :).

>> any code written to the new API should be populating the old
>> logLevels key via
>> <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/bd7f43fa202cb78d23098dee165df58737
>> ff9192/twisted/python/logger/_legacy.py#L166-L167>.
> Ok, so:
> 1- I won't touch twistd
> 2- I'll create t.p.logger._syslog
> 3- I''ll patch t.p.syslog to use  t.p.logger._syslog

This all sounds great.

> Thx for your guidance + Peace,
> R.

Glad to help.  Thanks so much for your contribution!

-glyph