[Twisted-Python] Is there pb documentation somewhere?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Aug 9 10:13:18 MDT 2014

> On Aug 9, 2014, at 3:50 AM, Hynek Schlawack <hs at ox.cx> wrote:
>
> On 8 Aug 2014, at 23:59, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>
>> I've participated in this discussion several times:
>>
>> Hypothetical Amalgam of Median Interlocutors Speaking Here: "I'm using Tulip because I really like its style of coroutines."
>> Glyph: "That's interesting. Did you know that Twisted has an equivalent style of coroutines, called inlineCallbacks, that's been around for years?"
>> HAMISH: "I saw that, and I asked about that a while ago and I heard it was bad.  It haven't heard that Tulip has the same problems, though."
>> Glyph: "Really? What problems does inlineCallbacks have that Tulip's coroutines don't?"
>> HAMISH: "When I asked about it everybody told me I have to use Deferreds instead, but Deferreds are really confusing and they make your code look all gross, so I didn't want to do that.  With Tulip I don't have to!"
>> Glyph: <facepalm>
>
> That btw is something I’m trying to fight on IRC whenever I can for months now.  @inlineCallbacks may be worse than pure Deferreds in some ways, but they are amazing to get people to give Twisted a chance and start appreciating it (most people still have no clue what Twisted actually can do for them; hence the “who needs Twisted when we have tulip!?” questions).  And FWIW I have a mid-sized Twisted application running on top of @inlineCallbacks for years now and it works just fine.
>
> People finally stopped knee-jerking at async/event-based programming and we’re keeping them out by being perfectionist smart-asses.  Next time someone asks about them, keep your “ugh inlineCallbacks” to yourself; a future contributor may come out of it.

+1

I stopped trying to use @inlineCallbacks because I was told it was bad (without much explanation why) anytime I posted a code snippet and asked for help with something that was using it. End result was that I didn’t really want to write much Twisted code because I don’t like the style of code where you’re working with pure Deferreds.

---
Donald Stufft