[Twisted-Python] Is there pb documentation somewhere?

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Sat Aug 9 01:50:51 MDT 2014

On 8 Aug 2014, at 23:59, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> I've participated in this discussion several times:
>
> Hypothetical Amalgam of Median Interlocutors Speaking Here: "I'm using
> Tulip because I really like its style of coroutines."
> Glyph: "That's interesting. Did you know that Twisted has an
> equivalent style of coroutines, called inlineCallbacks, that's been
> around for years?"
> HAMISH: "I saw that, and I asked about that a while ago and I heard it
> was bad.  It haven't heard that Tulip has the same problems, though."
> Glyph: "Really? What problems does inlineCallbacks have that Tulip's
> coroutines don't?"
> HAMISH: "When I asked about it everybody told me I have to use
> Deferreds instead, but Deferreds are really confusing and they make
> your code look all gross, so I didn't want to do that.  With Tulip I
> don't have to!"
> Glyph: <facepalm>

That btw is something I’m trying to fight on IRC whenever I can for
months now.  @inlineCallbacks may be worse than pure Deferreds in some
ways, but they are amazing to get people to give Twisted a chance and
start appreciating it (most people still have no clue what Twisted
actually can do for them; hence the “who needs Twisted when we have
tulip!?” questions).  And FWIW I have a mid-sized Twisted application
running on top of @inlineCallbacks for years now and it works just fine.

People finally stopped knee-jerking at async/event-based programming and
we’re keeping them out by being perfectionist smart-asses.  Next time
someone asks about them, keep your “ugh inlineCallbacks” to
yourself; a future contributor may come out of it.