[Twisted-Python] What happens in Montréal… PyCon 2014 Sprint Report

Kevin Turner keturn at keturn.net
Sun Apr 20 15:38:11 MDT 2014

Hi folks,

I didn't attend PyCon or the accompanying sprints this year, but judging
from the commit traffic, many of you did. And I want to know what you
worked on! Partly so I can live vicariously through your experiences,
but I know a lot of other people are curious too. Events like this are a
great way to show our followers and sponsors what happens when a bunch
of people have a chance to get together and focus on the project.

I've started a sprint report page on the wiki:
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/PyconSprint2014

Feel free to contribute directly to that page, or reply to this email
(either on or off-list) and I'll see if I can summarize the responses.

For those of you who were at the sprints this year:

* Was this your first time at a development sprint?

* Was it your first time contributing to Twisted?

* What did you work on?

* Did you work on something outside Twisted core? I especially want to
hear about these! For Twisted I can look at the commit logs, but if
there was activity on related projects, I might not know where to look
unless you tell me about it.

* Any other lasting impressions? Is there something you'll do
differently now as a result of some conversation or experience you had
at PyCon?

I know now that you're starting to get caught up on sleep and the
poutine is leaving your system, you may have reservations about sharing
certain things you worked on. Maybe you feel like it's not "ready" yet,
or it feels out-of-place next to that ticket Glyph worked on where there
were eight or nine thousand words in the ticket comments alone. Maybe
some things that happen in Montréal really should stay in Montréal.

But if you had a good experience at the sprints, and it's something
you'd encourage others to join next time they have the opportunity,
please share!

If you didn't have the experience you were hoping for, but you learned
something that will make it better for next time, share that too.
Whether it's something for the sprint organizers or something you wish
you could tell your earlier self, help us make next time better.

Think nobody else wants to hear about the weird thing you were working
on? Might there be a *small* chance? Like one-in-a-million? Then share
that too. There are at least a million Python programmers out there.
Even if your thing isn't "done," sometimes just knowing someone has
_made an attempt_ is important.

Lastly, if you have any photos, vines, blender models, artist's
renditions of the porting process, or any other media from the sprint,
please do email me. From time to time the Software Freedom Conservancy
(which supports the Twisted Software Foundation) asks us if we have
anything to share that isn't a wall of text, and I'd love to have more
things to *show* people.

Thanks,

 - Kevin