[Twisted-Python] Twisted 14.0.0-pre2 Announcement

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 9 07:42:31 MDT 2014

On 07:34 am, hawkowl at atleastfornow.net wrote:
>Just in time for PyCon, the second prerelease is hot off the presses.
>
>Tarballs for this prerelease can be found at
><http://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/14.0.0pre2>, with the changelog
>at <http://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/14.0.0pre2/NEWS.txt>.
>
>Changes from the previous prerelease include:
>
>         - Dropping support for Windows XP, due to XP being EOL.
>
>         - Dropping support for PyOpenSSL older than 0.10.
>
>         - Support for TLS Service Identity, in conjunction with the
>service_identity library on PyPI.

Thanks!

I haven't yet done any serious testing of this prerelease but I did
import some modules from it and I think this is pretty embarassing:
>>>import twisted.internet.ssl
/home/exarkun/Projects/Twisted/trunk/twisted/internet/_sslverify.py:119:
UserWarning: You do not have the service_identity module installed.
Please install it from <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/service_identity>.
Without the service_identity module and a recent enough pyOpenSSL
tosupport it, Twisted can perform only rudimentary TLS client
hostnameverification.  Many valid certificate/hostname mappings may be
rejected.
  verifyHostname, VerificationError = _selectVerifyImplementation()

This is a warning that just about every Twisted user is going to see and
it's confusing (_sslverify.py?  what?) and poorly formatted.

Jean-Paul