[Twisted-Python] Twisted Sprint Report (2013-09-23)

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Wed Sep 25 23:20:26 MDT 2013

>> * Dev Requirements
>> It would be nice to have a dev-requirements.txt file so that they
>> could easily install the necessary development tools. pydoctor,
>> coverage, nevow, zope.interface, twistedchecker, etc
>> See:
>> * https://github.com/hynek/structlog/blob/master/dev-requirements.txt
>
> What tools actually make use of this file?

pip install -r dev-requirements.txt

> Why is it desirable to keep this information there, instead of the 'requirements' key in setup.py?

There is no ‘requirements’ key – and ‘requires’ are runtime dependencies.  You don’t want to put your development tools there.

>   (Is there a 'develop_requires' key?)

No: http://pythonhosted.org/distribute/setuptools.html#new-and-changed-setup-keywords

There is tests_require which is also something different from development tools and get used when you run setup.py test which we AFAIK don’t.