[Twisted-Python] Twisted at PyConUK 2013

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 17 12:08:09 MDT 2013

On Sep 17, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 17/09/13 17:05, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
>>> p.s. the "How to review" docs on Trac are AWFUL if you've never done
>>> one before. It assumes a *hell* of a lot of prior knowledge. There
>>> needs to be a single page checklist for first-time reviewers.
>>
>> This is in progress.
>
> Awesome; would it be useful for me to write up what I did, or do you have enough source material?

Let's have a discussion here on the list first :-).  So... yes, write it up in a reply.

The review docs are always in progress.  Feedback like "this is bad" is basically useless; we know it's bad, but everyone has its own idea of what "bad" means.  What would be really useful in such a write-up was specific feedback about what you needed to know, what resources you discovered, and what they were missing.  Like:

"I didn't know if I should _ or _ because I was looking at this url _ and it didn't say and didn't link to anything that told me what to do.  So, based on this previous review _ I decided to _ and that worked out okay, that should be documented on the first URL I found".

So please feel free to offer more feedback but let's please keep it as specific as possible.

> FWIW I found virtualenv & the github mirror to be incredibly useful for the task; in particular it meant getting latest & greatest pyflakes/twistedchecker and dependencies, and being able to install the branch.

Separately, "how to get set up to review" would be a useful document too.

-glyph