[Twisted-Python] Garbage in logfiles?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Oct 16 14:14:00 MDT 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> The only other thing I can think of (without having a reproducible example of the problem in a self-contained executable example) is that some other program or code is opening the same file and writing garbage to it. Maybe you accidentally pass the location of the log file somewhere that wants a file to write to. It's unlikely that twisted's logging code itself would write unprefixed lines without a custom observer doing so.

Whenever I've seen truly garbage stuff like this, it's always been some code that opens a file descriptor, has it closed out from under it, and then the log file gets (re-?)opened with the same file descriptor number.  Then write() calls start going to the logfile's FD.

This is almost certainly a bug in your code or some other library that it's using, not Twisted itself.

-g