[Twisted-Python] ANN: Crochet 0.9.0 - Use Twisted Anywhere!

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Tue Oct 8 17:10:32 MDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 12:21 PM, Tobias Oberstein wrote:

> PS: One suggestion for the docs: it could be helpful to contrast the
> approach crochet takes with the other option of having a Twisted Web
> WSGI resource for running Flask (and other WSGI stuff) so users can
> make an informed decision.

That's a good idea; I opened a ticket to document that.

Short version:

1. Maybe you're not writing a web app, but some other application or a
generic library, in which case WSGI is irrelevant.

2. Maybe you don't want to deploy on Twisted's WSGI container because
you prefer some other WSGI container.

Even if you decide to use Twisted as a WSGI container, or in fact any
time you're using threads with Twisted where deferToThread is
insufficient, Crochet's APIs for calling into Twisted from a thread are
much nicer than blockingCallFromThread.

-Itamar