[Twisted-Python] Twisted Users on Windows XP

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:42:54 MDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Orestis Markou <orestis at orestis.gr> wrote:

> On 30 Οκτ 2013, at 12:34 π.μ., Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

> On Oct 28, 2013, at 8:45 AM, Kevin Horn <kevin.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's also worth noting that there are a fair number of people (at least I
> know some) who use their old XP licenses for testing Windows software in
> VMs, especially if they're usually working in Linux or Mac OS X.
>

> Do you, yourself do this?
>

> I used to do that, but nowadays use the VMs Microsoft provides for testing
> webpages under IE [1] and multiple windows environments. Just download your
> favorite flavor and run. I'm not sure about limitations they might have,
> but I was able to install other software just fine.
>
> [1]: http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools

It's worth noting that MS still provides XP images on this site, though I
suppose that may (probably will) change when XP extended support ends.
 With luck, maybe that means I can finally stop caring about IE6 entirely.
 I'm probably not that lucky though...

In any case I think Twisted should keep support for XP until extended
support ends, or at least until we know what the user base looks like
_after_ extended support ends.  I'm not too familiar with the overhead of
doing so, however, so it's not that informed of an opinion, I'm afraid.

--
Kevin Horn