[Twisted-Python] Flow-control for Pipes / Unix Domains Sockets?

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Wed Oct 23 04:55:59 MDT 2013

Ok, I've pimped up the test

https://github.com/oberstet/scratchbox/blob/master/python/twisted/masterchild/streaming_master.py
https://github.com/oberstet/scratchbox/blob/master/python/twisted/masterchild/streaming_child.py

and running on Ubuntu LTS 12.04, 64 Bit, Core i7 3.4GHz, epoll reactor, I was able to get it up to

Master => Child : 450MB/s
[94%/100% CPU load)

Master <=> Child (full-duplex echo): 200MB/s
[95%/100% CPU load)

Nifty.

Now, it might be that I can push even higher by adjusting the pipe buffer sizes (there is a Linux fcntl for that .. F_SETPIPE_SZ).

Q: How do I get at the FDs of the underlying pipes to the spawned process in the parent?

reactor.spawnProcess returns an object implementing IProcessTransport
However, that does not seem to provide access to the underlying pipes (and their FDs in the parent)

Looking at
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags/releases/twisted-13.1.0/twisted/internet/process.py
I can get it, but not via official API, right?

===