[Twisted-Python] Twisted as a full solution for web hosting [WSGI + other]

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Oct 21 13:32:35 MDT 2013

On Oct 20, 2013, at 2:21 AM, Orestis Markou <orestis at orestis.gr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Short form of the question:
>
> Are people using Twisted to host WSGI applications AND serve static files AND replace celery/redis/other?

I'm not personally using it as a WSGI host, but otherwise, yes, a full-stack application container speaking multiple protocols.

> Are there any inherent drawbacks in using Twisted for this use case?

Nope.  Twisted is the best :-).

> Long form of the question:
>
> These days to get a reasonably feature-full python web stack deployed you need to have a lot of 3rd-party libraries.
>
> The bare minimum looks probably like so:
>
> 1. Your web-framework of choice, like Django
> 2. Some kind of WSGI container, like gunicorn
> 3. A static file server, like nginx
> 4. Some kind of database [off-topic for this message]
>
> Additionally, you might want:
>
> * Celery
> * Redis
> * Cron
> * Something for web sockets or similar technology
> * … and so on
>
> In my experience, Twisted can be used to replace a lot of those use cases:
>
> * It has a WSGI container
> * It has a static web server
> * It can be used for other long-running tasks
>
> I'd like to know if there is some kind of inherent drawback of using Twisted to fill those areas. My use case deals with many small intranet-like deployments of web applications, and I'd like to streamline the stack as much as possible. I believe that with the newly-released Crochet someone could even write a Django extension to replace `runserver` with something more production-oriented.

If you hit any problems, they're bugs, report them and they'll get fixed.

Please do this.  I even gave a talk about this at DjangoCon a couple of years ago:

<http://blip.tv/djangocon/keynote-glyph-lefkowitz-5573264>

-glyph