[Twisted-Python] AutobahnTestsuite 0.5.6

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sun Oct 13 11:51:38 MDT 2013

Hi,

we've just release a new version of AutobahnTestsuite - including WebSocket compression testing.

Full announcement:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/autobahnws/_WIk5Z_xJ4U

Reports:
http://autobahn.ws/testsuite#reports_20131013

Takeaways:

1) Compression:
=> go to section 12 in reports
=> compression on real-world JSON can achieve ratios of up to 20!

2) Performance:
Autobahn/Twisted on CPython using wsaccel (Cython based acceleration for certain things) or PyPy are really competitive.
http://autobahn.ws/testsuite/reports/servers/index.html
=> section 9
=> Testing details: https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnTestSuite/tree/master/examples/publicreports

There are a couple of interesting aspects rgd CPy+wsaccel and PyPy: on large volumes of data, CPy+wsaccel wins.
On small data, but lots of, PyPy is faster. PyPy is good at accelerating all the loops and conditional code, but Cython
is faster when doing mass data crunching. I expect more differences under real, concurrent load, since the GCs are
quite different. Anyway,

Cheers,
/Tobias