[Twisted-Python] txThings - simple library for CoAP protocol

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sat Oct 5 16:12:34 MDT 2013

> I would like to announce the first release of txThings. It is a simple library
> for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP). CoAP is a relatively new protocol
> designed for "Internet of Things" and M2M communications.

Cool!

> Internet of Things is currently very interesting field of development. It is
> approaching
> a phase where many opportunities for both large and small players. I think
> Twisted is
> well suited for development of IoT apps:
> - it's stable
> - it's Python based and portable
> - it has good support for UDP and TCP, which makes it ideal for proxying IoT
> protocols to HTTP
> In my opinion in the next three years, at least 20% of Twisted apps will be
> IoT related
> (educated guess, no hard data :) )

I fully agree that Python/Twisted may have a particular competitive
advantage in embedded / IoT (see below).

And if so, why not take that opportunity and actively embrace / promote
specifically IoT from the Twisted community?

Why I think Python/Twisted has an edge:

- the (more pure) Web play languages like PHP and Ruby don't fit well with
processing serial port data or doing UDP (if possible at all)
- Perl - shudder;) Python is easy to approach for beginners and sane and bla
bla bla
- C: is here to stay, and has it's place in IoT
- C++: can't see a particular competitive advantage for IoT
- same goes for (great) stuff like Haskell or Erlang

Whats your take on the stuff below?

There is .NET driven by MS. I wasn't aware that they created a .NET Micro
under _Apache 2.0_ (!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Micro_Framework
http://www.netmf.com/

Then there is Oracle with Java ME
http://www.oracle.com/us/solutions/internetofthings/index.html

Then there is .. JavaScript. Put v8/node on your Pi. However, Node has
quite a different focus. Last time I checked e.g. the support for serial
was not in main project (I had read comments they don't _want_ to have it).

And then there is the Lua universe that has a bunch of brilliant stuff:

http://www.eluaproject.net/
http://luajit.org/
https://github.com/justincormack/ljsyscall

===

If above sounds OT for this list, in one way probably, but when looking from
the angle: competitive advantage of Python/Twisted and opportunities for
expanding the community and actively promoting Twisted, I'd say it's on
topic.

/Tobias