[Twisted-Python] AutobahnPython 0.6.3 - WebSocket compression and more

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sat Oct 5 08:24:42 MDT 2013

Hi,

AutobahnPython 0.6.3 was just released to PyPi https://pypi.python.org/pypi/autobahn with lots of new features, including _WebSocket compression_, an upcoming extension to the WebSocket protocol.

We have seen compression ratios of 2-15x with JSON payload over WebSocket, which is great, in particular for mobile and embedded devices / IoT!

AutobahnPython supports WS compression for both clients and servers, and with all knobs and options.

Besides AutobahnPython, the extension is currently implemented in Chromium (very near shipping in Chrome), WebSocket++ (client and server), pywebsocket (server only) and Jetty (server only, not yet released, partial implementation).

Complete list of new features is here:
https://github.com/tavendo/AutobahnPython/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

/Tobias

PS: should it be frowned upon posting announcements like this, please let me know. If it's useful/ok, please let me know also - I am hesitating each time to do postings like this to the list ..