[Twisted-Python] Some thoughts hacking with AMP (was: something about multiplexing and accessing protocols)

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.io
Sat Nov 23 04:15:53 MST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2013, at 4:10 AM, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.io> wrote:
>
> Also, I do really really want the protocol and not the transport. This is
> because I want to pass a reference to the protocol around so that later I
> can call callRemote on it. That I can also get the transport is mostly just
> gravy so that I can return nice things for my fake transport's
> getHost/getPeer.
>
> Except that maybe your protocol is just a BinaryBoxProtocol, and has no
> callRemote method.  Or maybe it's actually HTTP and feeding things to AMP
> after some deserialization pass, like via JSON (aren't you even doing this
> already in some other code?).  Is there even a "protocol" visible to this
> code in that case?

Yep and yep:
 - I guess I mean IBoxReceiver? The thing with callRemote on it ;)
 - I'm doing that, and that's what I hope to do again here :)

> - Maybe there should be a new API that passes the proto (and actually
> means "proto" ;))
>

> I still think that before providing this new mechanism we need *some* way
> of declaring that we expect more from "the protocol".

Yep!

>  I think I have some code up (or will have some code up soon, depending on
> when you read this email) that does have sort-of working multiplexed
> transports:
>

> Cool.

For what it's worth, I hacked together something in docs/examples that
works. I'll see what I have to do to get it to work over a browser, and see
what I can expose as API :)