[Twisted-Python] Twisted on PyPI

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat May 25 11:11:02 MDT 2013

Hey there!

Recently there has been a lot of work around packaging in Python. On my end of things I've been trying to clean up PyPI. Recently I've deployed a change that ensures that all *new* package names on PyPI conform to a strict set of rules. These rules are:

    - Must begin and end with an ASCII alphanumeric
    - Must contain only ASCII letters, digits, underscores, hyphens, and periods

Now we are left with about 235 total projects out of ~31k who do not conform to these guidelines. Out of those 235 projects Twisted is one of the major ones (Not Twisted itself, but Twisted Web, Twisted Core, etc).

Now the plan that we've come up with is to migrate any name that the only invalid characters are internal whitespace by replacing the whitespace with a -. This would Make Twisted Web Twisted-Web. This reflects already what is required to install Twisted Web via pip or easy_install.

So I'm emailing you all to warn you about this upcoming change since Twisted is one of the major projects affected and also to see if the Twisted developers would prefer a different rename than Twisted-Web.

Donald Stufft