[Twisted-Python] Helping the Python 3 port

Jonathan Ballet jon at multani.info
Wed May 8 08:30:37 MDT 2013

Hi,

I'm interested to give a help to port Twisted to Python 3.
I gave a look at the tickets on Trac tagged with py3k and those in the
Python-3.x milestone. I gave a try at
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5802 to see what still needed to be
done, and after rebasing the patch on trunk and starting to hack a few
modules, I noticed that I have to do those 3 things in a bunch of
places:

* use the newer "except Exception as e" instead of "except Exception, e"
* use the print function instead of the print statement
* replace "implements(IFoo)" by the class decorator "@implementer(IFoo)"

I can probably post a new patch which fixes all those things in order
for Trial (as per #5802) to just start, but I wonder if this is the
right approach and if it wouldn't be better to fix those first (since
they are, AFAIK, compatible with Python 2.6 anyway).

Any idea?

 Jonathan