[Twisted-Python] suggestions for improvement in Twisted APIs

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Sat May 4 08:00:15 MDT 2013

On 05/04/2013 07:28 AM, Miika Komu wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> we investigated the networking APIs of Twisted (10.2) and published our
> findings in Ottawa Linux Symposium 2012:
>
> http://nw.dreamhosters.com/ols/ols2012/ols2012-komu.pdf
Thanks for sending us your suggestions for improvement. I'm wondering
about your choice of version, though: Twisted 10.2 was released in 2010.
Why did you look at an old version of Twisted for a conference in 2012?

> Suggested improvements (for better end-user or developer experience)
> * (R1.1): The framework does not support symbolic host names in its
> APIs, i.e., does not hide the details of hostname-to-address resolution
> from the application
> * R1.2: The details of IPv6 are not abstracted away from the application
> * R2.1: The framework does not implement DNS look ups with
> getaddrinfo(). This is important for IPv6 source address selection
> * R2.2: The framework does not support parallel DNS look ups over IPv4
> and IPv6 to optimize latency
> * R3.3: The framework does not support parallel connect() over IPv4 and
> IPv6 to minimize the latency for connection set-up

I believe pretty much of all of these have been fixed in Twisted over
the past year, or are written and in the process of addressing review
comments.

Except for this:

* (R4.1): TCP and UDP are not easily interchangeable

Which I don't understand at all. UDP and TCP are completely different
than each other, there's no way to make them interchangeable.