[Twisted-Python] question : How to listen to USB-HID

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri May 17 06:09:39 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 02:54:47PM +0700, bino at indoakses-online.com wrote:
> But I plan to replace arduino with digispark (
> http://digistump.com/products/1 )
>
> Problem is I just realize that this device will recognized as USB-HID

From this page:

    http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/linuxtroubleshooting

...it sounds like the device implements the USB serial protocol (because
it mentions 'KERNEL=="ttyACM*"' and 'tty' is what Linux calls a serial
port). However, this page:

    http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/basics

says "The Digispark does not have a hardware serial port nor a hardware
serial to USB converter. An example library (DigiUSB) is provided, as
well as some example code and a serial monitor like program", and the
wiki-page for the DigiUSB driver suggests you can use it to implement
any USB protocol you like, including USB Serial, USB-HID, USB Mass
Storage, etc.

There's no (easy) way to hook a Twisted program up to an arbitrary
USB-HID device; the best you could do would be to write a Twisted
program that communicates with stdin/stdout, then run that program in
a window and remember not to Alt-Tab to another program while your
Digistump is doing stuff.

It sounds like a better solution would be to make sure you use the
DigiUSB library to implement the standard USB Serial protocol and then
continue using your existing code.