[Twisted-Python] How to dispatch message to different servers

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Sat Mar 2 07:33:40 MST 2013

I'm guessing that this is another question that will be solved as soon as I
see the code (perhaps you should put all your code up somewhere); but all I
do know is that all Deferreds buy you is an abstraction for organizing
callbacks; it's not a dispatch mechanism (and if you're using it as one
now, you do have dispatch logic, it just lives somewhere else).

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Benjamin BERTRAND <beenje at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 2 mars 2013 à 14:53, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.cc> a écrit :
>
> Ah, but that too appears to be missing in the original code ;-)
>
> The stuff you're doing with deferreds there seems a bit strange. In your
> example, why not just call sendMessage when you get the packet?
>

> If I had only one server yes.
> But the thing is I have to send the message to a different server
> depending on the line id.
> That was my initial problem.
> I don't see how I could call the sendMessage method corresponding to a
> specific server directly.
> Or?
>

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Benjamin BERTRAND <beenje at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Le 2 mars 2013 à 10:08, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.cc> a écrit :
>>
>> Yes, that looks okay, but that wasn't in your original sample ;-)
>>

>> Yep, sorry about that.
>> I was more focused on the ServerFactory and Protocol.
>> The pcap in a thread comes from the link I mentioned in my first post:
>> http://dound.com/2009/09/integrating-twisted-with-a-pcap-based-python-packet-sniffer/
>> But I know, it's better to put everything in one post. People shouldn't
>> have to click links.
>>
>> I'm on my phone at the moment which isn't great for code review, but it
>> looks like you only fire one deferred per line?
>>

>> There is a specific deferred by line.
>> I re-arm it in the messageToSend method (that wasn't in the sample
>> either).
>> In the Oldimon class, I have:
>>
>>     def messageToSend(self, message):
>>         self.sendMessage(message)
>>         # Re-arm the deferred
>>         self.factory.deferred[self.line] = defer.Deferred()
>>         self.factory.deferred[self.line].addCallback(self.messageToSend)

>>> data
>>>

>>> In run_pcap, I call reactor.callFromThread(callback, x25_data, line_id).
>>> See below.
>>> That seems to work with the tests I did.
>>> Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> /Benjamin
>>>
>>> def run_pcap(device, pcap_filter, callback):
>>>
>>>     def analyse_packet(hdr, data):
>>>         # check the data
>>>         reactor.callFromThread(callback, x25_data, line_id)
>>>
>>>     p = pcapy.open_live(device, 65535, 1, 100)
>>>     p.setfilter(pcap_filter)
>>>     p.loop(-1, analyse_packet)
>>>

>>> class Oldimon(Protocol):
>>>
>>>     def __init__(self, factory):
>>>         self.factory = factory
>>>         self.line = None
>>>
>>>     def connectionMade(self):
>>>         # Check the server port to get the line
>>>         # associated to this protocol
>>>         port = self.transport.getHost().port
>>>         self.line = LINES_PORT[port]
>>>         # Add the callback for this line
>>>         self.factory.deferred[self.line] = defer.Deferred()
>>>         self.factory.deferred[self.line].addCallback(self.messageToSend)
>>>

>>> class OldimonFactory(ServerFactory):
>>>
>>>     def __init__(self, device, pcap_filter):
>>>         # pcapDataReceived callback is called everytime a message
>>>         # is received
> [...]

cheers
lvh