[Twisted-Python] Problems with TLS connection not shutting down.

Michael Williamson williamson.michaelr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 18:55:15 EDT 2013

Ah, I never tried abortConnection, but I'm doing something similar - I just
call loseConnection() and that does the trick.  And yes, I believe that the
TCP connection does stay alive because I was watching closeSocket() and it
was never called.

I wish I could be more helpful with regard to code samples to reproduce
this - but right now my stuff is a mess.

We're using the wokkel library, calling stopService() when we want
everything to be cleaned up.  They override that function, but I believe
they're doing everything correctly.  Basically, they're just calling
connection.disconnect() - and eventually the shutdownTLS() gets invoked.

Maybe most people just never care about having to clean up their
connections during a single session?  As for a fix - maybe it's not
necessary to do the test for
if shutdownSuccess in _shutdownTLS() ?

According to the ssl spec, it's not absolutely necessary to wait for the
server to return the close handshake.

That being said, that seems lousy - and it really seems like something else
must be going on.