[Twisted-Python] GitHub Twisted organization/repo

Tom Prince tom.prince at ualberta.net
Tue Mar 26 12:11:15 EDT 2013

Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> writes:

> I now see that Tom Prince has already created git branches on GitHub
> for the ticket he is reviewing. Many thanks!

My repo is actually currently updated via a post-commit
hook. Eventually, that will change to point at twisted/twisted on
github, but I want to run it for a bit against an unofficial repo first.

> I have already started creating git branches on GitHub for all my
> patched for Twisted. I found it much pleasant to send a "live patch"
> URL rather than a static attached diff file.

One reason this is frowned on, is that the code then only exists in an
external resource that may disappear or change without notice. That
means that the work can be lost.

There have been a number of code hosting sites that have disappeared,
and that would take any contributions hosted only there with them.

https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/16 has a bunch of old tickets that
mostly with some code, that would potentially been lost.

> I understand that moving from SVN to GIT is not easy and if core
> developers can create and share SVN branches there is no big
> inconvenience.

I don't know if there is a desire to move to git. In any case, before
any such migration can occur. Namely, updating all the hooks and tools
to work with whatever vcs is being switched to. My impression is that,
at least at one point, bzr was a more likely choice of distributed vcs
to switch to.

  Tom