[Twisted-Python] on contributions

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 5 02:29:07 MDT 2013

On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:37 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> On 5 June 2013 09:29, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> So, please, go on contributing patches to Twisted; I thank you for your
>> contribution and I thank you doubly for your patience.
>
> From my point of view, the fact that reviews take so long is one
> reason why committing patches to Twisted is not fun. So I think that
> you are right to focus on solving the review issues.
>
> I have contributed a few patches to twisted.protocols.ftp and I think
> that one of the reason why it took so long to review the code, is due
> to the fact that no core developer really cares about FTP
> implementation.
> I know that everybody want Twisted to be big and great, but there are
> limited resources that needs to be managed.

Would you be interested in contributing to those resources by doing some reviews yourself? :)

As a non-committer, you can do reviews of fixes contributed by committers (like me, exarkun, dreid, radix, therve...).  It's up to the committer to decide whether your review was thorough enough, so it's their fault if you didn't do a good enough job :).  If you clear those tickets out of the queue, it gives committers more time to review tickets from external contributors.

> This is not a complain :), but what I wanted to say is that maybe it
> is better for Twisted to be a thinner library, and "downgrade" some of
> the code to independent projects.
>
> In this way, core developers will have more time to review more
> important core features, rather than looking at my minor fixes for FTP
> and later maintaining that code.

There are, possibly, some features that Twisted could shed.  But, based on my experience, I don't think that this is a major issue.  A big reason that we need code review is to introduce external contributors to our coding practices so that they can work up to making more significant changes; in that sense, most reviews are similar unless they're really big.

Also, one of the main advantages of Twisted is that it's a feature-rich suite of protocols which work together.  It's nice to have common documentation and testing standards applied to all of them.  (One day, after they've been maintained for another 10 years or so, maybe that'll even mean they all have good documentation and tests! :-)).

-glyph