[Twisted-Python] If the errbacks of a canceled Deferred are called with error other than CancelledError, is this acceptable?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jun 21 17:57:41 MDT 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 12:34 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> Thank you for pointing this out.  It seems like an important fact that makes the rest of the discussion moot.
>
> By making `Deferred.cancel` work on any Deferred by triggering a `CancelledError`, we have already decided on the failure behavior for all existing Deferred-returning APIs.  Changing that at this point doesn't seem like a very good idea.
>
> I think I'd also like to challenge the idea that Glyph put forwards earlier in the thread that this extra information is *necessarily* important to the application.

These are all pretty good points.

In fact, I think I'm going to withdraw my suggestion.  Having better ways to classify errors would be useful in some circumstances, but it's demonstrably not *necessary*, and a system to arbitrarily classify every single cancellation that any Deferred might raise (not to mention documentation of how to make use of all this information).

So I will save any further words I might write in this thread for narrative documentation for cancellation :).

-glyph