[Twisted-Python] Twisted on PyPI

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jun 1 03:18:26 MDT 2013

On May 30, 2013, at 5:43 AM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> On 29 May, 09:24 pm, tom.prince at ualberta.net wrote:
>> Tom Prince <tom.prince at ualberta.net> writes:
>>>
>>> Looking at the project pages on pypi, those don't appear to be
>>> installable anyway. I think that it might make sense to just remove
>>> them, at this point.
>>
>> There appears to be a consensus to remove them, but I don't have access
>> to do that.
>
> What are we removing?  All of the subprojects on PyPI?

Yes.

Thomas has already done that: <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcess?action=diff&version=164&old_version=163>

> What makes them uninstallable?  Wouldn't it make as much sense to just fix that?  Is this only a PyPI interaction thing, or is there actually a problem with the packages being distributed?

We never tested installing them in any fashion; we certainly never did any continuous integration on them.  I don't think we ever fully figured out the 'namespace package' thing.  Their distribution names won't satisfy a dependency on 'Twisted', and 'Twisted' won't satisfy a dependency on them, but they install the same files, so if another project attempted to use them as a minimal dependency, you would have gotten a broken mess.

Given all this I can't remember why we bothered to put these on PyPI in the first place, and it makes sense to remove them.

-glyph