[Twisted-Python] ugh open-ssl and twisted python

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.io
Sat Jul 27 10:51:09 MDT 2013

Hi Gary,

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM, gary clark <burslem2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This problem has been driving me crazy for a couple of days. I'm hoping
> someone can shed some light
> on this. I have a twisted server its using open-ssl (using certificates)
> and runs on linux and communicates great with a windows client thats send
> messages every second.
>
> However when I send data back to the client "sometimes" it doesnt receive
> the packet and there is no indication of failure at the client whats more I
> dont see any failure on the twisted server end.

When you say "packet", does that mean "actual IP packet that you observed
leaving the server", or do you mean "the thing I passed to transport.write"?

> Is there any way I can tell what could cause this failure? It just look
> like the transport.write(data) fails just dont know why it would when
> receiving works like a charm.

So, it fails silently? Keep in mind that transport.write working doesn't
necessarily mean that anything on the other end has successfully read it:
that's why good RPC mechanisms like AMP have positive acknowedgement :)

> Any help on this would relieve the pain I'm feeling right now.

How are these two servers connected? Can you reliably reproduce the
problem? Does it persist with other transports? Could you shed some more
light on what you mean by "sometimes"?

cheers
lvh