[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Qt5

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 22 15:43:54 MDT 2013

On Jul 20, 2013, at 5:04 AM, Burak Nehbit <burak at nehbit.net> wrote:

> Is there such a thing for Qt5? Is it planned?

Well, it sounds like you're planning it, so, I guess so :).

I doubt that anyone on this list has plans to do it (or there would already be work qt5 work done in the qt reactor repository) but there are plenty of people (myself included) who would be very happy to help you learn enough about Twisted to do it yourself.  And, honestly, if you're motivated to do it it's probably *not* a huge amount of effort to update the implementation.  Feel free to ask any questions you have on this list.

In the meanwhile though, maybe you could report a bug to Nokia or Trolltech or whoever runs Qt development right now that they should stop gratuitously breaking interfaces between versions?  We've had (at least one) major rewrite of the Qt reactor for every version of Qt, which seem to come out relatively frequently.  Nothing about the nature of event loops or sockets has changed sufficiently in the meanwhile to justify the constant re-work that Qt seems to require from us.

-glyph