[Twisted-Python] Twisted Names strings

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jan 22 14:36:49 EST 2013

On 03:37 pm, angelo.dellaera at gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I didn't have the possibility to test the fix during the last days
>(hopefully will do
>in the next hours) but taking a look at the fix proposed by ralphm
>
>http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/changeset/36867
>
>it seems like the patch is not complete because a similar check (and
>potential
>conversion) should be inserted in the twisted.names.dns.Name __init__
>method
>too. Am I wrong?

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for taking a look at the changeset, at least!  I think that you
are correct.  I would even go so far as to say that the change should be
reverted, as it does not actually fix the *regression*, it works around
it in a higher-level API.  As you say, this results in an incomplete fix
for the issue since many applications may (and likely are) using `Name`
directly rather than via SRVConnector.

I hope Ralph or Tom will chime in with their thoughts on this.

Jean-Paul