[Twisted-Python] Must avatarId always be a string?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jan 14 17:58:13 EST 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 3:18 AM, Peter Westlake <peter.westlake at pobox.com> wrote:

>> It seems like the "shared caching reference" would solve this problem
>> as well?
>
> Yes, I think that's the right answer. It's certainly the right design
> in my case, and perhaps in the general case too.

I think that this is the right design for now, given the constraints of the current cred API; however, it's certainly possible we could think up an extension to the cred API that would make this case easier to deal with.  It also leaves open some not-quite-trivial questions like "how do you know when to expire the cache, which are usually easy to work out for a particular application but do not generalize easily.

I hope you don't give up on thinking about a nicer and more general API just because the immediate problem is solved :).  Glad I could offer useful advice, though.

-glyph