[Twisted-Python] Serial transport protocol logging on Raspberry Pi

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 23 12:53:36 MDT 2013

On 08/23/2013 06:39 PM, Lucas Taylor wrote:

> I suppose the obvious answer may be that the Pi is underpowered for
> this task, but I am hoping to better understand why.  I may be able
> to defer logging to a queue or find other workarounds, but I'd like
> to figure out why basic usage of logging could be causing this.  Any
> thoughts as to what I could be looking at next would be appreciated.

What is the data rate, and the nature of the serial ports (e.g. UART or
USB?)

Your suggestion of CPU rings a little bell for me; IIRC the Pi had some
(ahem) sub-optimal behaviour w.r.t. the USB controller in some hardware
versions. There was some mild controversy over this, with various
accusations slung back and forth in the forums, people getting banned
for "continuing to talk about it" and so on. But I seem to recall timely
data delivery under CPU load was a symptom, and it might be the overhead
of Twisted/Python/logging drives the Pi too hard.

Where is the logging directed - I'm assuming NV storage which is the SD
card? - you might try logging to RAM and not touching the storage or bus.