[Twisted-Python] transport.write performance.

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Wed Aug 7 20:21:43 MDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.io> wrote:
>
> FWIW, Maciej commented that they don't expect to be *faster*, because they
> actually care about the JSON spec or checking return values. Things which
> ultrajson conveniently ignores :-) It's pretty easy to do the wrong thing
> fast, but that seems to be a common theme in this thread.
>

> I just said "improved", i.e. 2.1 ought to be faster than 2.0, no claims
> relative to anything else :).
>
> I'm aware that ultrajson is pretty bad, but cjson had comparable (if
> slightly slower) performance.  Does it also have correctness and security
> problems?

It's also important to note that in a microbenchmark, JIT warmup can be a
significant factor in PyPy. If you're interested in the performance of
short-running applications (eg. command-line tools) then this is very
relevant, but for a long-running server process you're unlikely to care
about the warmup overhead but rather the sustained performance thereafter.