[Twisted-Python] Release questions

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 3 15:55:40 MDT 2013

On Apr 3, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Thomas Hervé <therve at free.fr> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> During the latest release process, I was left with several things to
> clarify, so now that it's done I think it's time:
>
> * We started building wheels for Windows. What do we do with me, should
> we upload it to pypi? What happens when users try them?

We should definitely upload them to PyPI.  Right now, users won't even get them unless they explicitly say "pip --use-wheel", so there's not much risk associated with it.  When users try them, they should just get a working installation instead of what happens now ;).

> * Glyph mumbled something about sha sums of the release files, instead
> of md5. Should we pursue that? We may need to update some trac
> integration code.

We should.  If we're signing them, it's for security.  If it's for security, we should use a secure hash.  Let's skip sha1 and go straight to sha512 or something.

> * There are several issues with SVN and the release branch. First the
> Quotes file conflicts almost all the time. But this time we also
> reverted a branch from trunk during the release, and then merged it
> again, which created all sorts of troubles. Maybe we (I) just need to
> write some documentation about it. But if anyone has an idea on how to
> improve our tools, they are welcome.

I think that as long as we're still using an old version of SVN, documentation is the only solution.  Also we should have fewer bugs that need reverting :).

-glyph