[Twisted-Python] Speed of twisted on Amazon EC2

Tom van Neerijnen twisted at tomvn.com
Sun Apr 21 16:24:01 EDT 2013

Hi Tobias

My apologies, I should have included that information.
Before I get into my responses you've alluded to the answer already, which
is to say I should have been running on PyPy in the first place.
Twisted on PyPy is, at least for this really pointless benchmark, faster
than node.

I've re-run my tests using virtualenvs ( I was using Ubuntu packages which
may have been behind the latest releases), taken more care to record the
machine states, added PyPy to the mix and am responding inline with my
answers.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Tobias Oberstein <
tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> which OS are you running on your EC2 instance? Amazon Linux?

I am running two m1.small Ubuntu 12.10 64bit in us-east-1, one for the web
server and the other for the ab.

> Which reactor are you running your Twisted test with? Epoll?

Default Linux reactor, so it's Epoll.

> Are you running on CPython or PyPy?

I am running on CPython with twisted 13.0.0 installed into a virtualenv,
but please see my results for PyPy below, they're far more impressive.

> Can we see you Twisted hello world test app?

Sure:
from twisted.web import server, resource
from twisted.internet import reactor

class HelloResource(resource.Resource):
    isLeaf = True

    def render_GET(self, request):
        request.setHeader("content-type", "text/plain")
        return "Hello world!\n"

reactor.listenTCP(8080, server.Site(HelloResource()))
reactor.run()

And for comparison the node code:
var http = require('http');
http.createServer(function (req, res) {
  res.writeHead(200, {'Content-Type': 'text/plain'});
  res.end('Hello world!\n');
}).listen(8080, '0.0.0.0');

As I said you've already answered my question but here are my slightly more
controlled benchmarks from an ab -c 10 -n 100000 (I ran three and used the
average of the last two to ensure a warm JIT).

This time Twisted 13.0.0 in a CPython virtualenv yielded around 700 req/s.
Twisted 13.0.0 in a PyPy virtualenv yielded around 1.6k req/s.
Node 0.6.19 yielded around 1.6k req/s.

And for giggles 3x the concurrency with ab -c 30 -n 100000, which shows
Twisted on PyPy pulling ahead:
Twisted 13.0.0 in a PyPy virtualenv yielded around 2k req/s.