[Twisted-Python] Release questions

Thomas Hervé therve at free.fr
Thu Apr 4 06:18:24 EDT 2013

Le 03/04/2013 23:55, Glyph a écrit :

> On Apr 3, 2013, at 9:14 AM, Thomas Hervé <therve at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> During the latest release process, I was left with several things to
>> clarify, so now that it's done I think it's time:
>>
>> * We started building wheels for Windows. What do we do with me, should
>> we upload it to pypi? What happens when users try them?
>
> We should definitely upload them to PyPI.  Right now, users won't even get them unless they explicitly say "pip --use-wheel", so there's not much risk associated with it.  When users try them, they should just get a working installation instead of what happens now ;).

Cool, that's done, and the release process has been updated. If any
windows users want to check what happens, it'd be nice.

>> * Glyph mumbled something about sha sums of the release files, instead
>> of md5. Should we pursue that? We may need to update some trac
>> integration code.
>
> We should.  If we're signing them, it's for security.  If it's for security, we should use a secure hash.  Let's skip sha1 and go straight to sha512 or something.

OK. I've opened http://pad.lv/1164403 for the required changes in our
tool. I'll update the release document once that's done.

>> * There are several issues with SVN and the release branch. First the
>> Quotes file conflicts almost all the time. But this time we also
>> reverted a branch from trunk during the release, and then merged it
>> again, which created all sorts of troubles. Maybe we (I) just need to
>> write some documentation about it. But if anyone has an idea on how to
>> improve our tools, they are welcome.
>
> I think that as long as we're still using an old version of SVN, documentation is the only solution.  Also we should have fewer bugs that need reverting :).

I was afraid you were going to say that :). But I agree with you, I'll
write done some notes.

Thanks!

--
Thomas