[Twisted-Python] Release questions

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Wed Apr 3 18:39:09 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.cc> wrote:

> Is the accidental corruption thing a real risk? I thought that was the
> point of, say, TCP checksums :) Perhaps I'm just mistaken as to how often
> his happens in the wild...

TCP checksums don't protect you against corruption occurring on the server
or client, only corruption by intermediary routers (and if they recalculate
the checksum, not even that). In practice, the most common form of
accidental corruption I've encountered is truncation; many HTTP user agents
don't report any kind of error when fewer bytes are received from the
server (due to prematurely terminated HTTP connection, bad proxy server,
etc.) than expected.