[Twisted-Python] implementing NAMES in IRC

Art Scheel ascheel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:24:53 EDT 2012

First, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this.

I have a basic bot written as a mechanism for learning classes and
methods.  I think I've got methods down, but classes are kicking my butt.

As a personal exercise, I'm trying to implement a check in an IRC bot to
see if the person issuing a command has oper (@) status.  in IRC this is
done with the 'NAMES <#channel>' command.

Google gives me this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6671620/list-users-in-irc-channel-using-twisted-python-irc-framework

My own research points me to this:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/words/protocols/irc.py#L448

Now, is stackoverflow overriding that method or was it perhaps written
prior to the implementation of the irc.py portion I linked to?

My code is here.  I am attempting to parse the names list at line 110
http://bpaste.net/show/Fll7at9Z3b8nD6GDNN14/

I don't know if I should be using twisted/words/protocols/irc.py or
twisted/words/im/ircsupport.py.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to grab
the list of names at that particular spot using Twisted's in methods?  If
it cannot be done with the Twisted's methods, am I to understand that's
what the StackOverflow post was doing?

Yes, I know the code is ugly.  I can clean it up after I understand what
I'm doing more fully.

--
Molon Labe
"Come and take them"

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the
filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of
animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
-Eleanor Roosevelt