[Twisted-Python] git repo maintenance

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:01:16 MDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM, David Reid <dreid at dreid.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Duncan McGreggor
> <oubiwann at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Duncan McGreggor
>> <oubiwann at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > At the sprint today, Glyph mentioned that the github repo hasn't been
>> > updated recently and needs someone to maintain it regularly. He also
>> > mentioned that pull requests would be accepted from github, at which
>> > point
>> > I immediately volunteered to keep the repo up to date :-) (I can't bear
>> > using svn anymore...)
>> >
>> > I'll be putting things in place (infrastructure, scripts, etc.) to
>> > assist me
>> > with this, so let me know if you have any concerns, questions, ideas,
>> > etc.
>>
>> So, I've got a git repo set up for trunk of svn, and for the life of
>> me, I can't merge it with the git repo on github.
>>
>> As such, my desire is to do a force push. *However* this would break
>> github forks that everyone has made so far, based on twisted/twisted
>> (the complete list is here:
>> https://github.com/twisted/twisted/network/members).
>

> Based on https://github.com/twisted/twisted/network
>
> (That graph indicates that no one has actually done any substantial work
> based on the old repository.)
>
> I'm inclined to say do it.
>
> I'm a little concerned about how you ended up with a thing that which wasn't
> mergeable?  Could we start by you documenting how you created this repo?

Sure thing. All I did to build a git repo was the usual:

git svn clone svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twitsed/trunk twisted

All of my attempts to merge were using the local copy created by the
branch above (or by creating a clone of it with just one or two
revisions beyond what the github repo has, to minimize the commit #
and maximize the chance of a successful merge).

For instance:
 * git clone git at github.com:twisted/twisted.git twisted-github; cd
twisted-github; git pull ../twisted master

(and other variations upon that theme).

I've tried using several different merge strategies; either they
couldn't complete the merge, or they resulted in gobs of conflicts.