[Twisted-Python] git repo maintenance

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:53:44 MDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I want to use git instead of svn so badly that I can taste it.
> Hopefully this provides the motivation necessary to maintain the repo
> :-)
>

> For what it's worth, I haven't authored a branch for Twisted with SVN in
> the last 3 years.  I use Bazaar almost exclusively and I get all the fun
> tools one generally associates with a DVCS, including offline history and a
> nice graphical revision viewer.  (One reason I am concerned about migrating
> to Git is that this will stop working; in my opinions, Git's offline GUI
> tools are far worse than Bazaar's - almost as much worse as Launchpad's
> source browser is than Github.)

I really wish I could figure out how to do this.  The one page on the wiki
helps a bit, but is insufficient for those not already familiar with bzr
(like me).  I've tried setting this up a couple of times, and I always end
up just giving up on it. (and no I don't recall exactly why, except for the
one time when installing bzr on windows hosed my machine and made it
unbootable...not Twisted's fault of course).

> Similarly, I do code reviews by using a local 'bzr merge'.
>
> The only weird workflow which isn't just built in to BZR-SVN is this:
> <
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/BazaarMirror#CommittingaBazaarbranchtoaSubversionbranch>.
>  This involves rebasing, which makes me a little sad; I wish we could
> preserve more history, but it works fine.
>
> I still *land* branches on trunk using SVN, but that takes about ten
> seconds assuming you use Combinator or svnmerge.py, so I don't see that
> being a big impediment.  You only need to worry about that if you have
> commit access anyway, so that's not most external contributors.  If the
> need to do that to land changes is preventing you from writing them in the
> first place, just let me know when you have a branch to land, and I'll do
> it for you.

Unless someone applied my patch, Combinator won't work on Windows.  Also,
since the great Divmod site meltdown, there's not good instructions on how
to use it (aside from the wayback machine, which is what I've been using).

I'd never heard of svnmerge.py until you mentioned it.  Are there any
instructions on how to use it with Twisted?  I'm not finding any, and I'm
reluctant to experiment since Twisted has a very specific way on
interacting with the SVN repo.

> You don't need to use SVN, you haven't needed to use SVN since git-svn
> came into existence, and we've had several threads on this list before
> about improving the Git instructions here: <
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/GitMirror>.  If you look at the
> history for that page, you can see that it is two years old, and originally
> created by exarkun, who is not a git user himself.
>
> So, it strikes me as a bit odd, and I am a bit dismayed that anyone would
> have been put off of by the need to use Subversion when working with
> Twisted since you can use Git or Bazaar - or, I assume, Mercurial - right
> now*.*

Presumably you could use Mercurial with the hggit plugin against a git
repo, but you can't use it directly against the SVN repo, as it has a bad
commit in it that hgsubversion totally chokes on:
https://bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/issue/350

> I would find it a bit more understandable if you are dismayed by the need
> to use *Trac*, which is harder to avoid when working on Twisted.  For
> various reasons - which I hope we don't have to discuss right now - we
> aren't going to *move* the project to Github any time soon, so if anyone
> reading this thread is interested in alleviating some of the pain with
> Trac, <https://launchpad.net/frack> is a good place to get involved to
> help out.  There are some pretty straightforward bugs that anyone
> interested could fix there.
>
> Frack is already up and running on twistedmatrix.com, albeit at a weird
> URL.  See, for example, <
> http://twistedmatrix.com/users/frack.twistd/ui/ticket.html?id=1956>. This
> might be useful because it is a considerably faster ticket-viewer than
> Trac, do to its somewhat more parsimonious issuance of SQL queries.
>
> -glyph

Trac has never really bothered me that much. Yes, occasionally it will do
something stupid, and it's...not fast, but I guess I'm just used to the
pain.  I'm looking forward to Frack, though.

Kevin Horn