[Twisted-Python] how to daemonize twisted...and detatch from shell process

Stephan schenette at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:30:11 MDT 2012

Hi,

I'm attempting to create an ubuntu service that when started will run in
the background processing beanstalk jobs.
I've taken the code from beanstalk-client twisted to act as my beanstalk
client (
https://github.com/dustin/beanstalk-client-twisted/blob/master/beanstalk.py)

The issue I'm having is how do I set up my service (ocapi.py) so that when
the daemon (ocapi) starts it detaches from the process, which isn't'
happening right now.

ocapi.py (service) <--this is what should detach and I put it in
/usr/sbin/ocapi.py code found at http://pastebin.com/29VnXnrm
ocapi (daemon) <-- goes int /etc/init.d/ocapi code found at
http://pastebin.com/0QgRfTfu

stephan at oc:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/ocapi start
 * Starting ocapi... Removing stale pidfile /var/run/ocapi.pid
Connected!

...problem is I don't get my shell prompt back when i start the service,
meaning it didn't detach from the parent process...hopefully someone can
shed some light on this.
Thanks,
Stephan