[Twisted-Python] utf-8 support for ftp

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 12:35:33 EST 2012

I know this has been asked before, I've found it in several trackers.

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5411
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4515
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5100

Some of these were created a while ago, some with patches. I wondered what
the current status was with regards to utf-8 in ftp? Is it currently
possible?

I'm trying to list a folder called 'Paul's Mac Pro', this gets returned as
'Paulâ  s Mac Pro'. The client tries to list that folder, and the server
returns 'Paulâ  s Mac Pro: No such file or directory.' I think the
client is interpreting the bytes that make up the unicode char as separate
ascii characters. (maybe a problem with the client? FileZilla 3.6.0.1)

This problem may be made worse by my implementation of IFTPShell, I can try
to make an example if this isn't the expected result.

I'm returning all names and paths back encoded in utf-8, but maybe the
problem is the client isn't expecting it because there's no FEAT command
(is the patch in 4515 ok to add?)

I just want to get an idea of how I can best go about getting this to work.
Will I need to build in support, or is it available in a newer version, or
by applying some patches?

Thanks very much!!

Paul