[Twisted-Python] defer.TimeoutError in tests

Maxim Lacrima lacrima.maxim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 06:11:02 EST 2012

Hi!

I have some tests that fail intermittently, i.e. sometimes they fail,
sometimes they don't. These tests  were written against real server.

When I run these tests, the following errors may or may not occur:
[ERROR]
Traceback (most recent call last):
Failure: twisted.internet.defer.TimeoutError: <...>  still running at 120.0
secs

[ERROR]
Traceback (most recent call last):
Failure: twisted.trial.util.DirtyReactorAggregateError: Reactor was unclean.
Selectables:
<<class 'twisted.internet.tcp.Client'> to ('localhost', 8081) at 1eb1750>

I don't understand these errors. The server is up and running, but for some
reason connections are timed out.

The code under test uses perspective broker to talk to the server. I can't
figure out where the problem is -- on the server or in the code under test
(the client).

I have found some information that can help me to tackle the problem --
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2869

But what can be the reason of such intermittent errors?

Sorry, right now I can't provide a self contained example that demonstrates
the problem, because testing code is rather complex. At first, I would like
to know if there is something I could pay attention to.

Thanks in advance.

--
with regards,
Maxim