[Twisted-Python] HTTPS proxy with twisted?

Steve Chapel schapel at umich.edu
Sun Mar 11 10:18:29 MDT 2012

Hi,

I am doing a research project for a security class that involves writing
an HTTP and HTTPS proxy. The intent of this proxy is to ensure that
communications that should be secure are secure, without bombarding the
user with false warnings about potential man-in-the-middle attacks, for
example, when a website legitimately uses a self-signed certificate.

I will need to write an HTTPS proxy, which will examine the certificates
sent from the web server and determine whether the certificate is valid
or invalid. If the proxy determines if the certificate is valid, I will
need to resign the document. I suppose this will require that the proxy
be a certificate authority and will generate certificates for websites,
which the proxy will then use to sign the documents. Will this be
something that twisted can do easily? If so, where can I find
documentation for how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve