[Twisted-Python] Twisted/PyPy rocks!

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Mar 4 06:31:40 MST 2012

On 10:54 am, tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de wrote:
>>Unfortunately, pyOpenSSL does not work on current PyPy.  There are
>>just a few
>>simple APIs missing from PyPy's cpyext feature that pyOpenSSL depends
>>on, but
>>they're blockers.
>
>[Sorry if this is slightly OT for this list ..]

Since it's about Twisted/SSL/PyPy, I'll at least reply to this one. :)
If you want to discuss any the specific technical issues in more detail,
there's a separate pyOpenSSL mailing list hosted on Launchpad:

    https://launchpad.net/~pyopenssl-users
>Could you eloborate a bit whats needed?
>
>Also, the
>
>https://bitbucket.org/pypy/compatibility/wiki/pyopenssl
>
>talks about
>
>" pyOpenSSL is mostly compatible with PyPy. A few features are
>unsupported, such as sending data using memoryview objects."
>
>Is that the stuff you are mentioning?

That wiki page was updated when pyOpenSSL actually did mostly work on
PyPy.  However, unfortunately, PyPy has changed in ways that mean it no
longer works at all.
>So pyOpenSSL actually works .. modulo memoryviews? Anything else?
>
>Is there a PyPy ticket tracking this?
>
>I only found
>
>https://bugs.pypy.org/issue527

I filed https://bugs.pypy.org/issue1069 a few days ago about the current
problem.  The missing APIs are the CPython thread-local storage C APIs.
They're just a thin layer on top of the appropriate platform-specific
APIs.

I presume that memoryviews _also_ still do not work.

Jean-Paul