[Twisted-Python] Problem with NAT Traversal

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 26 04:11:54 EDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 3:14 AM, hz hanks wrote:

> I'm working with a small program to realize P2P file transfer.
> Therefore, I have to accomplish the function of NAT traversal. From
> the searching result, I know that it always requires a public server
> to initialize the transfer, but I don't have one. Now, my idea is
> that, we already have many communication ways such as the cell phone, so
> one side of P2P file transfer program can just run a 'touch' function
> to know some parameters, such as the port number and the public IP
> address, and just display them to the users. And the users will
> guarantee that the other side P2P file transfer program will know
> these parameters. However, I don't know any function in python can
> achieve the 'touch' function. Any one has some experience on this?  It
> would be even better if any function in twisted can achieve that,
> because most part of my program is adopted from twisted.
> Really appreciated.

Vertex (currently available at <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~divmod-dev/divmod.org/trunk/files/head:/Vertex/>) implements peer-to-peer communications and NAT traversal in Twisted, and has been seeing some fresh maintenance lately.  There's too many moving parts and confusing details about how it accomplishes its task to go over in one email, but hopefully some of the folks who have been working on it lately can help you out :).

-glyph