[Twisted-Python] Twisted reactor cpu usage

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Mar 2 14:50:27 EST 2012

> I'm using epoll reactor and sample HTTP Proxy realization.
>
> From another process i'm executing ~30 HTTP requests per second and
> twisted process is consuming 10% cpu
>
> What is wrong? Why twisted perfomance is so poor here?

The profile output you included doesn't particularly show anything useful,
unfortunately.

On my laptop ab claims twisted.web is doing 1000 requests/sec listing the
contents of a folder ("twistd -n web --path /tmp"). httperf claims 2500
request/sec. So unless your computer is dramatically slower than my
laptop, that does seem like high CPU usage.

1. What performance do you get out of twisted.web doing a simpler request?

2. What version of Twisted?

3. Was the 10% CPU while running under the profiler?

4. What profiler did you use? cProfile is often better than profile.