[Twisted-Python] AMP WebSockets bridging

Corbin Simpson cds at corbinsimpson.com
Mon Jun 18 14:59:06 MDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:32:37PM -0700, Glyph wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
> > The issue is that while AMP is inherently a binary protocol, WebSockets transfer text (well, that's a lie: there's a binary version, but it's even less widely supported than WebSockets themselves -- and SockJS doesn't support it at all, although it's on the roadmap). So, I need an alternative, preferably 7-bit, serialization for AMP boxes.
> Did you immediately discard the obvious solution of "base64 everything"? :)

I should point out that at least one WebSockets JavaScript thing, noVNC, uses
base64 as its solution to the problem, and that's what I originally wrote txWS
to deal with. This works quite fine for OSUOSL on all of the target browsers
we care about.

I don't know if this is the *right* solution, but it certainly is the least
painful.

~ C.