[Twisted-Python] AMP WebSockets bridging

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Sat Jun 16 07:45:43 MDT 2012

On Friday, June 15, 2012, Glyph wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get browsers to communicate with an AMP API.
>
> This is also what <https://launchpad.net/frack> is doing.  I hope that it
> becomes a common enough practice that there's a library for it :).

See Allen's comment. It'd certainly be great. Do you think that for old
browsers (that is ie6 & 7) it's acceptable to tell them to go install
chrome frame? ( for Franck and hence twisteds future bug tracker). If the
answer is yes, is that because it will take a while to switch, or would
that also be true today?

Bear in mind that my users are a lot less technical and many are stuck on
winxp because they're corporate machines...

> > The issue is that while AMP is inherently a binary protocol, WebSockets
> transfer text (well, that's a lie: there's a binary version, but it's even
> less widely supported than WebSockets themselves -- and SockJS doesn't
> support it at all, although it's on the roadmap). So, I need an
> alternative, preferably 7-bit, serialization for AMP boxes.
>
> Did you immediately discard the obvious solution of "base64 everything"? :)

Base64 does not fix the problem of encoding and decoding binary responses
on the client side, only on the transport. Binary support (Blob and
ArrayBuffer are those 2 essentially unsupported things. It may be feasible
to build a Unicode amp representation, however meaningless some code points
may then become (that's not a tab stop, it's a length specifier!!)

> > An issue I'm running into is an AMP ListOf. With the above code, ListOf
> still gets translated to a string, and obviously I want it to be a list.
> When that ListOf has actual data in it, I get the binary representation.
>
> I would recommend implementing an entirely alternate serialization code
> path; specifically, one which adapts the existing AMP Argument objects to
> some new interface ('.toJSON()'), with a default adapter that uses the
> existing toString()/fromString(), and then specific adapters for those
> interfaces which need modification, like ListOf and Boolean.

I'm not sure I understand at which point that takes effect since apparently
AMP.sendBox is too late?

> -glyph

cheers
lvh