[Twisted-Python] AMP WebSockets bridging

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Sat Jun 16 14:20:10 EDT 2012

> Do you happen to know what the figures are like for iOS? I know mobile Safari only got web sockets in 4.something (1 or 2), I'm not sure what version of the protocol it speaks either, and obviously flash isn't an option...

4.2.1 .. which includes very old devices like iPod Touch 2nd gen.

... But only when fully updated, right? (I realize the update penetration on iOS is quite high)

=> right.

FWIW, Windows Phone 8 will come with IE10, and hence first class RFC6455. I don't know if MS ports that down to WP <8.

So what's the story on wp7? Does that thing have flash?

=> the story is: WP is irrelevant given it's market share;)
no, seriously, AFAIK WP7 does not have Flash and there is no WebSocket possible, since it doesn't allow to install i.e. Opera Mobile either.

WebSocket Application Messaging Protocol (WAMP)
http://wamp.ws/

I knew this was a raven do thing -- how's adoption going?

https://github.com/nicokaiser/wamp.io
https://github.com/cboden/Ratchet

others are starting

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10882370/websocket-request-response-subprotocol
another one is working on WAMP over SockJS

we maintain a list on
http://wamp.ws/implementations

Also I'm surprised that jsonrpc didn't make this list! Seems like a perfect candidate for browsers.

jsonrpc:
* verbose (they have read too much xml)
* not fully Web .. methods aren't identified by URIs
* does not have PubSub, but only RPC